Saturday, August 29, 2009

Polymer Clay Beads


Over the last year, my daughter and I have been making miniature candy out of polymer clay, to diffuse the desire for real sweets. It worked. 
A few weeks ago, while in California I started thinking of making beads out of the clay. 
I knew we would be spending 3 weeks in the country upon returning to the east coast, and a beading project seemed appropriate for the rainy days and the TV free evenings coming up.
On our last day in L.A., my dear friend Julie watched my daughter, who was asleep in the car, while I ran into an art store. The store didn't have much clay left, but I found a few colors, enough to mix and make more. I couldn't wait to get started and once we got settled and unpacked in our house in PA, I got dove right in. 
Making beads turned out a lot more complex than I anticipated and it took many days for me to get to a place where I was happy with the results. It has been two weeks now and I finally completed three necklaces, check them out!
*

4 comments:

  1. Love your beads! You have a unique style that I think works really well.

    Polymer clay is such a nice material to work with because the learning curve is not that steep. There are just a few tips and tricks to getting the clay to do what you want it to. It is so fun too to see how far you can take it!

    If you need any help along the way, just ask. I'd be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I really like your website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi think your etsy shop is great. I am just getting into polymer clay beads (bought the stuff, now have to do it) and was googling polymer clay and came across your blog and shop. As a fellow Brooklynite, I am happy to see another crafter in the neighborhood...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you and your daughter because making miniature candy must take much time and patience. It means you are both so creative. Thanks for sharing the picture

    ReplyDelete